Easy Vegan Mac and Cheese by @twospoons.ca 🧡 A bowl of comforting goodness! Get the recipe:
For the sauce
1/2 cup (75g) raw cashews (soaked overnight, or at least 1 hour)
2 cup (500 ml) almond milk
1/2 cup (20g) nutritional yeast
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 lemon, juiced
3 tbsp (24g) arrowroot powder (or you can use tapioca starch)
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2-1 cup reserved pasta water (optional to thin)
For the pasta
4-5 cups (450 g) chickpea pasta (or pasta of choice)
10-12 sage leaves
2 tsp coconut oil
sea salt and pepper, to sprinkle
1. Strain raw cashews and add to blender with almond milk, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, lemon, arrowroot powder and turmeric. Blend on high for 1 minute, or until smooth and combined.
2. Transfer liquid to saucepan and bring to medium heat. Warm cheese sauce stirring often with a whisk, until it thickens to desired consistency (about 10 minutes).
3. Meanwhile add chickpea pasta to boiling water. Cook for 3-6 minutes, or until just al-dente. Place a large heat-proof bowl in sink and strain pasta, catching some of the reserved pasta water in the bowl. Add pasta back to pot.
4. Pour cheese sauce overtop pasta and gently fold to combine. Option to add splashed reserved pasta water to thin mac and cheese if you find it too thick. (I used about 1/2 cup reserved pasta water total).
5. In a skillet add coconut oil and bring to medium-high heat. Fry sage leaves for 2-4 seconds, lay on paper towel to absorb any excess oil and sprinkle with a bit of sea salt. Transfer pasta to bowls and top with fried sage leaves, sprinkle with more sea salt and pepper.