Crispy Tofu by @thefoodietakesflight 😋 A delicious and satisfying way to enjoy your tofu! 💚You can also opt to dip them in whatever sauce you’d like! Tag someone who loves tofu and check out the recipe below:
Serves 2-3 people
3 blocks (240g each), extra firm tofu
neutral oil, for frying
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup room temp. water
2 cups breadcrumbs, I used Japanese breadcrumbs
👉🏼Steps (Baking option below!)
1. Drain water from the tofu by wrapping them in paper towels and then placing a heavy flat surface (a board or plate) on top of each. Leave for 15 minutes until water has been absorbed by the towels. Slice the tofu into any shape you like but i sliced mine into rectangles.
2. In a bowl, mix the ingredients for the batter until it turns into a smooth, thick consistency. In another bowl or plate, add in the bread crumbs.
3. One by one, dip each tofu into the batter then coat in the breadcrumb mixture. Coat well using one hand (this is to avoid messy hands—I usually use one hand for dry and one hand for wet when coating). Press down the bread crumbs on the tofu. Set aside once coated.
4. Heat a frying pan with some oil. Once hot (you can add in some bread crumbs to test the heat) place the tofu and cook until golden brown, moving it around on each side every 2 minutes or so.
5. Once golden brown, drain excess oil then enjoy w/ sauce of your choice.
Baking: Heat oven to 350F. Brush tofu with oil. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until crisp. Flip halfway through.